- 3 lbs summer squash, ends trimmed, stripe peeled*, cut lengthwise into 1/2" thick planks
- 1 lbs Eggplant, ends trimmed, stripe peeled, cut lengthwise into 1/2" thick planks
- 4 cippolini onions, trimmed (or, 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1/2" thick planks
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Herbes de provence
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or pressed through a press)
- 1 large tomato, cored and diced
- 4-6 basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade
1. Prep the vegetables: Prep the squash, eggplant and onions as described above.
4. Dice and season the grilled vegetables: Remove from the grill. As soon as you can handle them (I use tongs, so I can do this immediately) cut the squash and eggplant crosswise into 1-2" chunks, and dice the onion. While still hot, put in a bowl and add the minced garlic, then toss. The heat from the grilled vegetables will release the flavor of the garlic, so you want to do this part as soon as possible.
5. Finish the dish: Add the diced tomato, and the basil chiffonade into the bowl, and toss again. Taste for seasoning; add salt, pepper if it needs it.
*If you have fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage), you substitute them for the herbes de provence.
*When you taste for seasoning, along with the salt and pepper, you can add:
Questions? Comments? Better ideas? Leave them in the comments, below.
Click here for my Grilled Monster Zucchini recipe.
Click here for my Grilled Asparagus recipe.