Pressure Cooker Black Bean Soup - vegetarian, though you wouldn't know that just by tasting it.
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons Diamond Crystal kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
Bean cooking ingredients
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sort, rinse, and brine the black beans: Sort the black beans, removing any stones, clods of dirt, or bad looking beans. Rinse the beans, put them in a large container, cover with 2 tablespoons salt and 4 quarts water, and stir to dissolve the salt. Let the beans soak for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Saute the aromatics and spices: Heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in the pressure cooker until shimmering. Add the onion and red pepper, and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Saute until the onion and peppers soften, about 5 minutes. Make a hole in the middle of the onions and add the garlic, cumin, coriander and oregano; let sit in the pan for 1 minute or until you can smell the garlic cooking, then stir into the onions. Cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes, until the onions show a hint of browning.
- Cook the black beans: Drain the black beans, rinse them thoroughly, then add them to the pressure cooker. Add the water, bay leaf, and 1 tbsp olive oil, stir, then scrape the bottom of the pan to make sure none of the onions are sticking. Bring the cooker up to high pressure, then pressure cook the black beans for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, and let the pressure come down naturally, about 15 more minutes.
- Finish the soup: Thicken the soup by pureeing 2 cups of the beans. I use a stick blender directly in the pot; moving 2 cups of beans and liquid to a blender also works. Add the lime juice, then taste for seasoning, and
- add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American