Grilled Mexican Hot Dogs recipe. Bacon wrapped hot dogs, a specialty of the Sonoran border region of Mexico and Arizona.
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 slices bacon (about 1/2 a pound)
- 8 split-top buns (or thick rolls shaped like hot dog buns
- Refried beans
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Mexican crema (or substitute sour cream)
- Wrap the dogs with bacon: Wrap each hot dog with one piece of bacon in a spiral pattern in a tight single layer. (Think “candy cane”.)
- Set up the grill for medium-low heat: Set the grill up for cooking at medium-low heat and clean the grill grate. I preheat my grill with all burners on high for 10 minutes, then turn the burners down to medium-low and brush the grate clean with my grill brush.
- Cook the hot dogs: Set the hot dogs on the grill grate - be careful, this is when the bacon will try to unwrap - keep the lid open, and grill until browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Give the dogs a quarter turn in the direction the bacon is wound - again, carefully, so the bacon doesn’t unwind - and grill until browned on the bottom, another 5 minutes. Repeat the quarter turn and grill until browned steps two more times, browning the other two sides, about 10 minutes more. Rotate and move the dogs if there are flareups, or if some dogs are browning quicker than others. The dogs are done when the bacon is browned and crispy. When the dogs are almost done, put the buns on the grill and brown on two sides, about 1 minute a side.
- Serve: Spread a thin layer of refried beans in each hot dog bun, top with the bacon-wrapped dog, then add the rest of the toppings. Serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Grilling
- Cuisine: Mexican