Grilled Teriyaki Asparagus recipe. My favorite vegetable to grill in the spring, asparagus, marinated in teriyaki sauce.
- 1 pound asparagus
Teriyaki sauce (or 1 cup store-bought teriyaki sauce)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Mirin or seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 green onion, trimmed and minced fine
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Prep the asparagus: Snap off or trim the tough ends from the asparagus, then put in a baking dish. Whisk the teriyaki ingredients and pour over the asparagus. Gently toss the spears in the dish until they are coated with sauce.
- Preheat the grill to medium: Set the grill up for direct medium heat. For my gas grill, I preheat the grill with all burners on high for 10 minutes. Next I brush the grate clean, then I turn the burners down to medium.
- Grill the asparagus: Remove the asparagus spears from the teriyaki sauce, letting any excess drip back into the dish. Put the asparagus on the grill perpendicular to the grill grate over direct medium heat. Cook the asparagus, rolling the spears on the grate every couple of minutes and moving them around if there are hot spots. The asparagus is done when they are browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. I check the spears two ways. First is the flop test. I pick up a spear with my tongs, and wiggle it up and down. If the spear doesn’t bend, it’s not done yet. If it’s soft and floppy, I move on to the bite test - I bite into the spear, making sure it doesn’t have any resistance. If it’s cooked through, I’m done.
- Toss and serve: Move the grilled asparagus back into the baking dish and toss to coat it with teriyaki sauce one more time. Serve it immediately, or let the asparagus rest while you finish the rest of dinner.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Grilling
- Cuisine: Japanese