Instant Pot 15 Bean Soup With Sausage. It's time for a hearty soup with ALL THE BEANS, with sausage and Cajun flavors, ready in under an hour, thanks to pressure cooking.
Dry Beans - Soak
- 20-ounce bag 15 bean soup mix (dry beans)
- 8 cups water for soaking
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt for soaking
Instant Pot 15 Bean Soup With Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into ½-inch rounds (or smoked sausage or kielbasa)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth (homemade or store-bought low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (if using homemade broth)
- 2 cups water
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sort, rinse, and soak the bean mix: Sort the beans, discarding any stones, dirt, or broken beans. Rinse the beans, then do an overnight or a quick soak.
- Overnight soak: Cover the beans with 8 cups of water, and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of salt. Leave the beans to soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain the beans and discard the soaking liquid.
- OR: Pressure Quick Soak for 1 minute with a 30-minute rest: Put the beans and 8 cups of water in an Instant Pot or another pressure cooker. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of salt. Pressure cook at high pressure for 1 minute (use Manual, Pressure Cook, or Pressure Cook - Custom mode in an Instant Pot). Let the beans soak in the pot for 30 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure. Drain the beans and discard the soaking liquid.
- Brown the sausage: Heat the olive oil in an Instant Pot set to Sauté Mode - High (use medium-high heat in a stovetop PC) until the oil starts shimmering. Add the andouille sausage and cook, occasionally stirring, until browned around the edges, about 3 minutes. Scoop the sausage out with a slotted spoon and move it to a bowl.
- Saute the aromatics and spices: Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic to the pot, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté, stirring often, until the onions soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the Cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper, and sauté for 1 minute to toast the spices.
- Everything in the pot: Pour the soaked beans into the pressure cooker. Stir in the chicken broth (and 1 teaspoon of salt if using homemade broth), water, and diced tomatoes with chilies.
- Pressure cook the bean mix for 15 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker. (Use Manual, Pressure Cook, or Pressure Cook - Custom mode in an Instant Pot, set for 15 minutes). Or, cook for 12 minutes in a stove top PC. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 minutes. (If you're in a hurry, you can quick pressure release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes.) Unlock the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid the hot steam.
- Serve: Stir 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper into the soup. Serve with hot sauce and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Sunday Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: Instant Pot 15 Bean Soup With Sausage, Pressure Cooker 15 Bean Soup With Sausage