5 Ingredient Instant Pot Chili. Pressure cooker chili with only 5 ingredients? Yes! Here is my weeknight meal in a hurry chili.
- 1 pound dry kidney beans, sorted, rinsed, and soaked
- 2 pounds ground beef (preferably 70/30 "ground beef" or 80/20 "ground chuck" lean-to-fat ratios)
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 4 cups store-bought beef broth or chicken broth (NOT low sodium)
- 32 ounces salsa (mild, medium, or hot, depending on how hot you want the chili)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream
- Minced green onions
- Diced red onion
- Pickled jalapeños
- A bottle of hot sauce
- Sort and rinse the kidney beans: Sort the kidney beans, discarding any stones, dirt, or broken beans. Rinse the beans, then do an overnight or a quick soak.
- Overnight soak: Cover the kidney beans with 8 cups of water, and sprinkle with 1½ teaspoons of salt. Leave the beans to soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain and discard the soaking liquid.
- OR: Pressure Quick Soak for 1 minute with a 30-minute rest: Put the kidney beans and 8 cups of water in an Instant Pot or another pressure cooker. Sprinkle with 1½ teaspoons of salt. Pressure cook at high pressure for 1 minute ("Manual" or "Pressure Cook" mode in an Instant Pot for 1 minute), then quick release the pressure. Let the beans soak in the pot for 30 minutes, then drain the beans and discard the soaking liquid.
- Sauté the Ground beef and chili powder: Set an Instant Pot to sauté mode adjusted to high (medium-high heat for other pressure cookers) and add the ground beef. Cook the ground beef, stirring and breaking it up until it loses its pink color, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the beef with the chili powder and stir until all the beef is coated with chili. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. to toast the chili powder.
- Everything in the pot: Pour in the beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot to make sure no bits of browned beef are sticking. Stir in the soaked beans and the salsa.
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes with a quick release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes in an Instant Pot or another electric pressure cooker, or 12 minutes in a stovetop PC. (In an Instant Pot, use "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" or "Pressure Cook - Custom" mode set to high for 15 minutes). Quick release the pressure in the pot.
Serve: Remove the pressure cooker lid – open it away from you to protect yourself from the hot steam. Ladle the chili into bowls and serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
If you want to use a natural release, pressure cook on high pressure for 12 minutes, with at least a 15-minute natural release. (You can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes.)
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot 5 Ingredient Chili, Pressure Cooker 5 Ingredient Chili