Instant Pot Beef Tips, tender chunks of beef with rich brown gravy, ready for Sunday Dinner in about an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
- 2 pounds Beef Tips (or Stew Meat), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 1 large onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 cups beef broth (homemade or store-bought)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt (if using homemade beef broth)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup beef broth (or water)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Season the beef tips and brown on one side: Toss the beef tips with the onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Add the vegetable oil to an Instant Pot set to Sauté mode - High (use medium-high heat in other pressure cookers), and heat until the oil starts to shimmer. Add half the beef to the pot, making sure not to crowd it, and brown on one side (about 3 minutes). Remove the browned beef to a bowl. Add the rest of the beef to the pot and brown it on one side (about 3 more minutes). Move the browned beef to the bowl.
- Sauté the onion, simmer the wine: Add the onion to the pot and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt. Sauté the onion until it softens, about 5 minutes, stirring and scraping with a flat-edged wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Pour in the (optional) red wine and simmer the wine for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pot one last time.
- Everything in the pot: Pour the beef and any juices in the bowl into the pot. Drizzle the beef with the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and stir to coat. Pour in the beef broth (and ½ teaspoon of fine sea salt if using homemade broth).
- Pressure Cook for 20 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the lid. Pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker (Manual, Pressure Cook, or Pressure Cook - Custom mode in an Instant Pot), or for 16 minutes in a stovetop pressure cooker. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 more minutes. (If you're in a hurry, you can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes).
- Thicken the gravy and serve: Scoop the beef into a serving bowl using a slotted spoon. Make a cornstarch slurry by whisking the cornstarch with ¼ cup of beef broth, then whisk the slurry into the pot. Then, whisk the sour cream with about a cup of the pot liquid to thin it out, and whisk the thinned sour cream into the pot. Stir in the fresh ground black pepper. Ladle some of the gravy over the beef tips and pass the rest of the gravy on the side. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Sunday Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Beef Tips, Pressure Cooker Beef Tips