Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas and Collard Greens. Pressure cooker beans and greens for luck in the New Year.
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
- 4 ounces bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound collard greens, cleaned and stems trimmed
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 cups water
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sort and rinse the black-eyed peas: Sort through the black-eyed peas, removing any debris or broken peas. Put the peas in a fine mesh strainer and rinse with cold water.
- Brown the bacon, then wilt the collards: Spread the bacon out in the bottom of an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker, then set the pot to sauté mode adjusted to medium (medium heat for a stovetop PC.) Cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and crispy, about 5 minutes. Stir a big handful of the collards into the bacon, coating with the bacon grease, until they wilt slightly. Repeat, stirring and packing in the rest of the collards as they wilt. Don’t worry about the max fill line on the cooker – the collards will wilt quickly.
- Black-Eyed Peas into the Pot: Stir the rinsed and sorted peas into the pot with the collards, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt, and then pour in 6 cups of water. Stir and shift things around to make sure all the black-eyed peas are submerged below the water line. (The greens can be above the water, if you need them to be - they’ll cook fine either way. But the peas should be submerged.)
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the lid and pressure cook for 15 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, or for 12 minutes in a stovetop pressure cooker. (Use Manual or Pressure Cook mode in an Instant Pot). When the cooking time is over, let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 minutes. (You can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes if you’re in a hurry.) Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid any hot steam.
- Simmer to thicken (optional, if you have extra time): Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode adjusted to low and simmer everything for another 15 minutes.
- Season and serve: Stir in the ½ teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas and Collard Greens, Pressure Cooker Black-Eyed Peas and Collard Greens