Instant Pot Cajun White Beans. A taste of Louisiana from dried Great Northern Beans, ready in about an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
- 1 pound great northern beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (homemade or store bought)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (if using homemade or salt-free Cajun seasoning)
- 1 pound smoked sausage, diced (preferably andouille sausage)
- 6 cups water
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- Sort and rinse the beans: Sort the great northern beans, removing any broken beans, stones, and dirt clods. Put the beans in a strainer and rinse under running water.
- Sauté the aromatics: In an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker, heat a tablespoon of oil over Sauté mode (medium heat) until the oil is shimmering. Add the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of fine sea salt. Sauté, stirring occasionally with a flat edged wooden spoon, until the onions soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the Cajun seasoning (and 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt if using homemade or salt-free Cajun seasoning), and cook for 1 minute to toast the spices.
- Everything in the pot: Stir the rinsed beans and smoked sausage into the pot. Pour in the 6 cups of water, then stir in ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Pressure cook the beans for 40 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, or for 35 minutes in a stovetop PC. (In an Instant Pot, use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode set for 40 minutes). Let the pressure come down naturally; if you’re in a hurry, you can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes of natural release.
- Simmer to thicken (optional): To thicken the bean broth, set the pressure cooker to Sauté mode, bring the pot to a simmer, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Serve: Ladle the beans into bowls, serve with hot sauce, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Category: Sunday Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Cajun White Beans, Pressure Cooker Cajun White Beans