Instant Pot Cannellini Beans and Greens. Garlicky beans and greens from my pressure cooker, a great Italian-inspired side dish.
- 8 ounces dried Cannellini beans, aka Marcella beans
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or a bay leaf)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 4 ounces kale, stems removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup reserved bean broth
- Cooked beans from above (about 3 cups)
- More reserved bean broth as needed
- 8 ounces jarred hot cherry peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup Panko bread crumbs
- Pressure cook the beans for 35 minutes with a quick release: Sort and rinse the cannellini beans, removing broken beans, stones, and any other non-bean material. Add the beans, water, salt, and rosemary to an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Lock the lid and pressure cook on high pressure (Manual or Pressure cook Mode in an Instant Pot) for 35 minutes, then quick release the pressure in the pot. Drain the beans, saving both the beans and their liquid for later.
- Sauté the aromatics: Set the oven to 350°F to preheat. Put the olive oil and pancetta in a large frypan, set the pan over medium heat, and cook until the pancetta starts to crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and sauté for 1 minute, or until you smell garlic. Stir in the kale, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, and pour in ½ cup of the bean liquid. Simmer until the kale starts to wilt, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sliced cherry peppers and reserved beans, and keep stirring until the beans are covered with oil and pancetta fat.
- Fill the gratin dish: Pour the frypan of beans and aromatics into a 2-quart baking dish, then add the reserved bean liquid until it comes ¾ of the way up the beans. Toss the panko bread crumbs with the olive oil, then spread the bread crumbs over the top of the baking dish in an even layer.
- Bake the gratin: Slide the baking dish into the oven and bake until the bread crumbs start to brown on the top, about 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Individual servings: Instead of pouring everything into one big baking dish, spread the beans across a bunch of smaller oven-safe gratin dishes, then spread the panko across the top each dish. Put the dishes on a rimmed baking sheet, then continue with the “bake the gratin” step, baking until the bread crumbs are browning, about 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Instant Pot Cannellini Beans and Greens, Pressure Cooker Cannellini Beans and Greens