Instant Pot Chuck Steak with Beer and Onions. Beer-braised steak and onions from the pressure cooker.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 pounds beef chuck steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon paprika (preferably smoked Spanish paprika)
- ¾ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup beer (preferably a brown ale, or substitute apple cider)
- 1 cup chicken broth (preferably homemade broth, or use store-bought low sodium chicken broth, or water)
- Brown the chuck steaks on one side: Set an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker to Saute mode adjusted to high (medium-high heat in a stovetop PC.) Add the teaspoon of oil and heat until shimmering. While the oil is heating, sprinkle the chuck steaks evenly with 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt, ¾ teaspoon paprika, and ¾ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper. Once the oil is heated, working in batches, brown the chuck steaks on one side, about 3 minutes per batch. (My chuck steaks were large enough that I had to do them two at a time). Move the browned steaks to a rimmed platter, and repeat until all the chops are browned on one side. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the remaining fat in the pot.
- Sauté the onions, simmer the beer: Add the onions to the pot and sprinkle with the dried thyme and ½ teaspoon of fine sea salt. Sauté the onions, occasionally stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot with a flat-edged wooden spoon, until the onions soften, about 5 minutes. Pour in the beer, bring to a simmer, and simmer for 1 minute to boil off some of the alcohol. While the beer is simmering, scrape the bottom of the pot one last time with a flat edged spoon to make sure nothing is sticking. Pour in the chicken broth, and add the browned steaks and any beef juices in the platter.
- Pressure cook for 30 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the lid. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric PC, or for 24 minutes in a stovetop PC. (Use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot.) Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 more minutes. (If you get impatient you can quick release the remaining pressure after 15 minutes of natural release.)
- Transfer to a platter, defat the sauce, serve: Unlock the pressure cooker lid, tilting it away from you to avoid the hot steam. Gently scoop out the steaks and onions - they will be fall apart tender - and transfer to a serving platter. Pour the sauce into a fat separator and let it settle, then pour a little of the defatted sauce over the platter of steaks. Serve, passing the rest of the defatted sauce at the table. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Category: Sunday Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Chuck Steak with Beer and Onions, Pressure Cooker Chuck Steak with Beer and Onions