Instant Pot Coconut Brown Rice. Jasmine rice, coconut milk, and pressure cooking make this healthy, slightly sweet side dish, perfect for Thai curries.
- 2 cups brown Jasmine rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Everything in the pot: Pour the rice, water, coconut milk, and salt into the pressure cooker pot. Give it a quick stir, breaking up the coconut cream from the can.
- Pressure cook the rice for 20 minutes with a quick pressure release: Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes in an electric PC (“manual” or “pressure cook” mode in an Instant Pot), or for 16 minutes in a stovetop PC. Quick release the pressure.
- Serve: Stir the rice a bit to spread out the coconut cream that floated to the top of the pot. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with the garnishes if you’re using them, and enjoy.
- Make sure to get unsweetened coconut milk. “Cream of coconut” or other sweetened coconut milks are great for piña coladas…not so much for coconut rice.
- Can’t find brown Jasmine rice? Any long grain brown rice will do.
- Toasting shredded coconut: Turn the instant pot to Sauté mode adjusted to low heat. (Medium-low heat in a stovetop cooker). Pour a thin layer of unsweetened shredded coconut (aka coconut flakes) into the pot and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned. And…please pay attention. Coconut flakes go from browned to burnt in a heartbeat.
- 6 quart or larger pressure cooker (I love my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker)
Keywords: Instant Pot Coconut Brown Rice; Pressure Cooker Coconut Brown Rice