Instant Pot Coconut Curry Chicken Thighs. An easy weeknight dinner, inspired by Thai curries, for when you need to spice up a random Tuesday.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- Minced cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Sauté the aromatics: Heat the vegetable oil in an Instant Pot set to Sauté mode until the oil starts to shimmer. (Medium heat in any other pressure cooker.) Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until the garlic just starts to sizzle, about 1 minute.
- Coat the chicken with coconut milk and curry paste: Pour the coconut milk into the pot. Stir in the soy sauce and curry paste, and keep stirring until the coconut milk and curry paste are smooth and blended together. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with the sea salt, then add them to the pot, turning to coat with the coconut milk and curry sauce.
- Pressure cook for 10 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the lid on the cooker. Pressure cook at high pressure for 10 minutes (“Manual” or “Pressure cook” mode in an Instant Pot), then the pressure come down naturally, about 15 more minutes.
- Serve: Unlock the lid on the pressure cooker, and scoop the chicken thighs out into a bowl or platter. Stir the lime juice into the sauce in the pot, then ladle a few scoops of the sauce over the platter of chicken. Sprinkle the minced cilantro on the chicken, and serve, passing the rest of the sauce at the table. Enjoy!
Thai Curry Paste is found in the international aisle in most grocery stores, but if you can’t find it, substitute 1 tablespoon of curry powder from the spice aisle. (That will be an Indian curry powder, which changes the flavor a bit, but it will still taste great.)
6 quart or larger pressure cooker (I love my Instant Pot 6-Quart Pressure Cooker)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Instant Pot Coconut Curry Chicken Thighs, Pressure Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken Thighs