Instant Pot Colcannon, Irish mashed potatoes and Kale in a pressure cooker, with greens and scallions mingled like a picture in a dream…
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1½- to 2-inch chunks
- 3 ounces of kale, stemmed and chopped (about 2 cups lightly packed chopped kale leaves)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half, or milk)
- 2 scallions, minced
- More minced scallions and butter for topping
- Pressure Cook for 7 minutes with a quick pressure release: Pour 1 cup of water into an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Add a vegetable steaming basket, then fill the basket with the potato chunks, and top with the chopped kale. Lock the lid and pressure cook at high pressure for 7 minutes in an electric pressure cooker or stovetop PC (Use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot). When the cooking time is over, quick release the pressure. Once the pressure is released, unlock the pot, opening the lid away from you to avoid the hot steam.
- Melt butter and mash the potatoes: Carefully lift the steaming basket out of the pot, and set aside on a heatproof surface (I use a large plate). Pour the water out of the pot liner, put the pot liner back in to the pressure cooker base (or back on the stovetop), add the butter, and melt the butter over sauté mode (medium heat on the stovetop). While the butter is melting, separate the kale from the potatoes. Once the butter melts, turn off the heat, and add the potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes with the salt, and give them a rough mash, stirring to coat with the butter and salt. Add the cream. Mash again, starting out gently – the cream will splatter – and keep mashing and stirring until the cream is blended in and the potatoes are smooth.
- Stir in the kale and scallions: Stir in kale and the minced scallions. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with a little more minced scallions, add a big pat of butter to the middle of the bowl, and serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: Instant Pot Colcannon (Irish Mashed Potatoes and Kale), Pressure Cooker Colcannon (Irish Mashed Potatoes and Kale)