Instant Pot Flank Steak (For Tacos or Burritos) - a quick, beefy taco dinner, ready in minutes thanks to pressure cooking.
- 1½- to 2-pound flank steak, cut across the grain into ½-inch thick strips
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 10- to 15-ounce can diced tomatoes & green chilies (Ro*Tel tomatoes)
- “Fajita” size flour tortillas
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour Cream
- Hot sauce
- (And any other favorite taco toppings)
- Everything in the pot: Sprinkle the sliced flank steak with salt, Ancho chile powder, and garlic powder. Put the steak into an Instant Pot (or other pressure cooker), and stir in 1 cup of water. Spread the tomatoes with green chilies over the top of the beef. (Don’t stir the tomatoes – they may scorch if they’re at the bottom of the pot.)
- Pressure cook for 12 minutes with a natural release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker and bring it to high pressure. Pressure cook at high pressure for 12 minutes in an electric or stovetop PC (use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot). Let the pressure come down naturally for at least 10 minutes before quick-releasing any remaining pressure in the pot.
- Serve and enjoy: Remove the steak and tomatoes to a platter with a slotted spoon. Add a ladle or two of the liquid from the pot, just enough to moisten the beef, and serve with the tortillas and accompaniments. Enjoy!
The Accompaniments section are my favorite taco toppings - use your favorites on your tacos. (Or burritos!)
I used to cut flank steak into 2-inch strips, thinking bigger pieces were better. I re-tested the recipe, and ½-inch thick strips result in better tacos, even if there’s a little more slicing work up front.)
If flank steaks are expensive, look for flat iron steaks, cut from the chuck shoulder. They cook the same as flank steak, and I'll buy whichever is cheaper for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: Instant Pot Flank Steak, Pressure Cooker Flank Steak, Instant Pot Fajitas