Instant Pot Ham and Beans recipe. Dried navy beans and cubed ham make this hearty meal with about an hour of pressure cooking in about an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
- 16 ounces dried navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
Ham and Beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cubed ham
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 cups chicken broth (homemade or store-bought low sodium)
- 1½ teaspoon fine sea salt (if using homemade broth or water)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sort and rinse the beans: Spread the navy beans on a rimmed baking sheet and discard any stones, dirt, or broken beans. Rinse the beans, then do an overnight soak or a quick soak.
- Overnight soak: Cover the beans with 8 cups water and add 1 tablespoon salt. Leave the beans to soak for at least 8 hours (or overnight). Drain the beans and discard the soaking liquid.
- OR: Pressure Quick Soak for 1 minute with a 30-minute Natural Release: Put the beans, 8 cups of water, and 1 tablespoon of salt in an Instant Pot or another pressure cooker. Pressure cook at high pressure for 1 minute ("Manual" or "Pressure Cook" mode in an Instant Pot), then let the pressure come down naturally for a full 30 minutes. (Quick release any pressure remaining after 30 minutes, but let the beans rest for the full 30 minutes, even if the pressure releases itself earlier.) Drain the beans and discard the soaking liquid.
- Sauté the aromatics and spices: Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode adjusted to high (medium-high heat in a stovetop PC). Add the vegetable oil and heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes. Stir in the ham, onion, carrot, and celery, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté, occasionally stirring, until the onions soften, about 5 minutes. Stir the red pepper flakes into the onions and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Everything in the pot: Pour the chicken broth into the pot, and stir in 1½ teaspoons salt if using homemade broth or water. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a flat-edged wooden spoon to loosen any stuck bits of ham, onions, or spices. Stir the drained navy beans into the pot.
- Pressure Cook for 10 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the Instant Pot lid and pressure cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. (Use "Manual," "Pressure Cook," or "Pressure Cook: Custom" mode set to 10 minutes in an Instant Pot. If you're using a stove top pressure cooker, cook for 8 minutes at high pressure). Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20-30 minutes. If you're in a hurry, you can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes of natural release
- Serve: Carefully remove the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid the hot steam. Stir in the freshly ground black pepper. Ladle into bowls, serve, and enjoy!
Cooking dried navy beans without soaking: Sort and rinse the beans as directed and skip the soaking step. Increase the chicken broth or water to 6 cups, and increase the pressure cooking time to 30 minutes at high pressure. The rest of the recipe works the same.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Americn
Keywords: Instant Pot Ham and Beans recipe, Pressure Cooker Ham and Beans recipe