Instant Pot Japanese Egg Salad Sandwich. Homemade tamago sando are easy when you hard boil your eggs in an Instant Pot.
- 6 Eggs
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) Kewpie mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Butter (for the bread, optional)
- 8 slices of bread (makes 4 sandwiches)
- Hard boil the eggs (Instant Pot 5-5-5 eggs): Pour 1 cup of water into an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Put a vegetable steaming basket in the pot, and set 6 large eggs in the basket. Lock the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes ("Manual" or Pressure Cook mode on the Instant Pot.). Once the pressure cooking time is over, let the pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes to finish cooking, then quick release any remaining pressure. Immediately move the eggs to an ice water bath to chill for at least 5 minutes. (Detailed hard-boiling instructions here: Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs)
- Peel the eggs and mash the filling: Peel the hard-boiled eggs and put them in a medium bowl. Mash each egg a few times with a fork to break it into big chunks and expose the yolks. (We will mash them more later.) Sprinkle the eggs with the sugar, salt, and pepper, then drizzle with the Kewpie mayonnaise and the milk. Stir and mash until the eggs and mayo are thoroughly combined and the eggs are broken into small pieces. (They should not be completely smooth).
- Make the sandwiches: If you are buttering your bread, spread the butter on the slices of bread now. Spread the egg salad mix in a thick, even layer over one slice of bread, then top with another slice. Repeat until all the egg salad is used up. For a traditional tamago sando presentation, slice the crusts off the sandwiches (they make a great chef's treat), then slice each sandwich diagonally. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Instant Pot Japanese Egg Salad Sandwich, Tamago Sando, Pressure Cooker Japanese Egg Sandwich