Instant Pot Mayocoba Beans. A pot of beans, ready in about an hour thanks to my pressure cooker.
- 1 pound Mayocoba beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- 1 small to medium onion, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Cilantro for garnish (Optional)
- Sort and rinse the beans: Sort the mayocoba beans, removing any broken beans, stones, and dirt clods. Put the beans in a strainer and rinse under running water.
- Everything in the pot: Put the rinsed beans in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker pot. Pour in the 6 cups of water, then stir in 1 teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of baking soda, onion halves, and dried oregano.
- Pressure cook the beans for 40 minutes with a quick pressure release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes in an electric pressure cooker or 35 minutes in a stovetop PC. (In an Instant Pot, use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode set for 40 minutes). Quick release the pressure in the pot.
- Serve: Remove the pressure cooker lid – open it away from you to protect yourself from the hot steam. Discard the onion. Ladle the beans into bowls and serve, or store for later.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Instant Pot Mayocoba Beans, Pressure Cooker Mayocoba Beans