Instant Pot Red Braised Pork Belly. The Chinese classic, adapted for pressure cooking, with tender chunks of pork belly cooked in soy sauce and spices.
- Everything in the pot: Put the pork belly cubes in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Stir in the water, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, and dark soy sauce. Scatter the ginger, garlic, sugar, and five spice powder over the top.
- Pressure Cook for 30 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker (“Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot), or for 25 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 15 more minutes. (You can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes.) Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid the hot steam.
- Reduce the liquid and glaze the pork belly: (This is an optional step, but worth the extra fifteen minutes if you have it.) Gently scoop the cooked pork belly out of the pot with a slotted spoon and move it to a platter. Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode adjusted to high (medium-high heat on a stovetop), bring the pot liquid to a boil, and boil until reduced by half, about 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes to make sure the sauce is not sticking to the bottom and burning. Turn off the heat and stir the pork belly back into the pot, coating it with the thickened sauce. Transfer the pork belly to a serving bowl, pass the extra sauce at the table, and enjoy!
- Can’t find pork belly? You can substitute boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes. The cooking time stays the same. It won’t have the jellied fat consistency that makes pork belly so unique, but it will have tender, shreddable pork.
- I make a trip to my local Asian market for Shaoxing rice wine and dark soy sauce. (Shaoxing is sometimes spelled Shao Hsing - they’re the same wine). If you can’t find them, substitute dry sherry for the Shaoxing wine, and regular soy sauce for the dark soy sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Sunday Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Instant Pot Red Braised Pork Belly, Pressure Cooker Red Braised Pork Belly