Instant Pot Refried Mayocoba Beans. Refried beans, made from dried mayocoba (aka Peruano, or Peruvian) beans, ready in under an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
Pressure Cooker Mayocoba Beans
- 8 ounces (1 heaping cup) dried mayocoba beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 small onion, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups water
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
Refried Mayocoba Beans
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced (or substitute a jalapeno)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt (for the onions)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (for the refried beans)
- Pressure cook the beans for 40 minutes with a quick release: Stir the beans, onion, oregano, water, and ½ teaspoon salt, and water into an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Lock the lid, and pressure cook on high pressure for 40 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric PC, or for 35 minutes in a stovetop PC. (Use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot.) Quick release the pressure once the cooking time is done, unlock the lid, and discard the onion. Set the beans and cooking liquid aside.
- Sauté the aromatics: While the bean pressure is quick releasing: Heat the vegetable oil in a large fry pan over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering, about 3 minutes. Add the minced onion, minced serrano, and smashed garlic cloves. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt. Sauté until the onions are starting to brown around the edges, around the edges, about five minutes, stirring the onions occasionally.
- Fry the beans: Add the beans and all of their cooking liquid to the fry pan. Be careful – the hot oil may splatter when the wet beans are added. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt, then start mashing the beans, stirring as you go to get the onions evenly distributed. Keep cooking the beans, stirring and smashing occasionally, until the beans thicken, about eight minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Instant Pot Refried Mayocoba Beans, Pressure Cooker Refried Mayocoba Beans