Instant Pot Royal Corona Beans. Talking about big beans in the pressure cooker.
- 1 pound Royal Corona Beans (aka corona runner beans), sorted and rinsed
- 8 cups of water for soaking (see instructions)
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt for soaking
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 an onion, peeled
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 2 bay leaves)
- Sort and rinse the beans: First sort the beans, discarding any stones, dirt, or broken beans. Rinse the beans, then do an overnight or a quick soak.
- Overnight soak: Cover the beans by an inch with water. Leave the beans to soak at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- OR: Pressure Quick Soak for 1 minute with a 30 minute rest: Put the beans and 8 cups of water in the pressure cooker pot. Pressure cook at high pressure for 1 minute ("Manual" or "Pressure Cook" mode in an Instant Pot for 1 minute), then let the beans sit for 30 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure.
- Pressure Cook for 20 minutes with a Natural Pressure Release: Drain the beans, discarding the soaking liquid. Put the beans in the pressure cooker, add 5 cups of water, sprinkle with the teaspoon of salt, then add the onion half and the sprig of rosemary. Lock the lid and pressure cook at high pressure for 20 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, or for 16 minutes in a stovetop pressure cooker. (Use "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" mode in an Instant Pot.) Let the pressure come down naturally, about 30 minutes. (If you're in a hurry, you can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes of natural pressure release.)
- Serve: Discard the onion and rosemary - they've given their all to the beans. Serve the beans with their broth, or drain the beans and serve. (I like to toss the drained beans with olive oil and serve them with a pinch of minced fresh rosemary.)
You don't need to overnight soak AND the quick soak - do one or the other.
Can you skip the soak? Yes, if you pressure cook for 45 minutes with a Natural Pressure Release...and then check the beans. If they're not cooked through, give them another 5 minutes under pressure to finish cooking.
6 quart or larger pressure cooker (I love my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker)
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Royal Corona Beans, Pressure Cooker Royal Corona Beans