Instant Pot Scarlet Runner Beans. Big beans pressure cooked in under an hour (after an overnight soak), with a big creamy, meaty flavor.
- 1 pound dried Scarlet Runner Beans, sorted and rinsed
- 8 cups of water for soaking (see instructions)
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 2 bay leaves
- Sort and rinse the beans: Sort the beans, discarding any stones, dirt, or broken beans. Rinse the beans, then do an overnight or quick soak.
- Overnight soak: Cover the beans with water, with the water level at least an inch above the beans. Leave the beans to soak at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- OR: Pressure Quick Soak for 1 minute with a 1 hour rest: Put the beans and 8 cups of water in the pressure cooker pot. Pressure cook at high pressure for 1 minute (“Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot for 1 minute), then let the beans sit for 1 hour.
- Pressure Cook for 20 minutes with a Quick Pressure Release: Drain the beans, discarding the soaking liquid. Put the beans in the pressure cooker, add 5 cups of water, sprinkle with the teaspoon of salt, then add the garlic cloves and bay leaves. Lock the lid and pressure cook at high pressure for 20 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, or for 16 minutes in a stovetop pressure cooker. (Use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot.) Quick release the pressure
- Serve: Discard the bay leaves and any garlic cloves you can find. (The garlic tends to dissolve under pressure - that’s OK.) To use as a side dish, serve the beans with their broth; to add to another recipe, drain the beans. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Scarlet Runner Beans, Pressure Cooker Scarlet Runner Beans