Instant Pot Sirloin Tip Roast, a braised and shredded beef roast ready in about an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
- 2- to 3-pound sirloin tip roast, cut into 2-inch thick strips
- 1- to 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½- to ¾-teaspoons garlic powder
- ½- to ¾-teaspoons onion powder
- 1 large onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup beef broth (or chicken broth, or water)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks (or 1 pound baby carrots)
- Brown the beef on one side, in two batches: Heat the vegetable oil in an Instant Pot using Sauté mode adjusted to high until the oil shimmers, about 3 minutes. (Use sear mode or medium-high heat for other pressure cookers.) While the oil heats, sprinkle the strips of beef with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Brown the beef in 2 batches: Add half of the beef to the pot in a single layer, and sear until well browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Remove the batch of browned beef to a bowl. Add the rest of the beef to the pot, and sear until browned on the bottom, about 3 more minutes, then move it to the browned beef bowl.
- Sauté the onion: Add the diced onion to the pot and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt. Sauté until the onion softens, about 3 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot with a flat edged wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits of beef and onions.
- Everything in the pot: Pour the beef broth into the pot, and add the Worcestershire sauce. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon one last time to make sure nothing is sticking. Add the browned beef and any juices in the bowl to the pot. Scatter the carrots over the top of the beef.
- Pressure cook for 40 minutes with natural pressure release: Lock the lid on the cooker. Cook at high pressure for 40 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker (Use Manual, Pressure Cook, or Custom mode in an Instant Pot) or for 35 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 more minutes. (You can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes if you are in a hurry.) Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid the hot steam.
- Shred the beef, add some pot liquid, and serve: Move the beef to a platter with tongs or a slotted spoon, and move the carrots to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Shred the beef with a pair of forks. Spoon a little of the cooking liquid from the pot onto the shredded beef. (I add about a cup of sauce from the pot to the beef.) Serve, passing the rest of the liquid at the table. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Sunday Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Sirloin Tip Roast, Pressure Cooker Sirloin Tip Roast