Instant Pot Beef Short Rib Tacos with Dried Chile Pepper Sauce recipe. Tender, shredded beef in a spicy dried chile sauce.
- 2 pounds boneless beef short ribs (or beef chuck roast cut into 1 inch strips)
- 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, and rinsed
- 3 dried guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded, and rinsed (or 2 more ancho chiles)
- 1 dried chipotle chile, stemmed, seeded, and rinsed or 1 canned chipotle en adobo
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup beer (preferably Negra Modelo) or water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Stem and seed the peppers: Use kitchen scissors to cut the stems off of the dried peppers, then cut along one side of the pepper to open it up, and shake out the seeds. Rinse the peppers.
- Fill the pressure cooker: Sprinkle the short ribs with the salt, then stack them loosely in the pressure cooker. Top with the onions, garlic, and peppers, then pour in the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and the beer.
- Pressure cook the short ribs: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes in an electric pressure cooker, or 35 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure to come down naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release any pressure left in the pot.
- Make the sauce and shred the beef: Remove the beef from the pressure cooker with tongs and a slotted spoon, and set aside. Pour the liquid through a strainer into a fat separator. Put the solids in the strainer - the peppers, onions, and garlic - in the blender. While the liquid in the fat separator settles, shred the beef. Pour the defatted liquid into the blender, start the blender on low, slowly turn it up to highest speed, and blend for 1 minute, or until the sauce is completely smooth. Toss the sauce with the shredded beef, taste, and add salt if needed. (I add another teaspoon of salt to the beef and sauce while I’m tossing it and tasting.)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Instant Pot Beef Short Rib Tacos, Pressure Cooker Beef Short Rib Tacos