Pressure Cooker Chicken Stew recipe - straightforward comfort food, with chicken thighs and new potatoes in a one pot meal.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 6 chicken thighs (about 3 1/2 pounds) or a cut-up whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/4 pound baby carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 pound baby carrots
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes
- Sear the chicken in batches: Season the chicken with 2 teaspoons salt. Heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat in the pressure cooker pot until shimmering. Brown the chicken in 2 batches, three pieces in each batch. (Don’t crowd the pot, or the chicken will steam instead of browning.) Sear the chicken for 4 minutes per side, or until well browned, then remove to a bowl and sear the next batch. Once all the chicken is browned, pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the cooker. (The chicken skin will release a lot of oil into the pot.)
- Sauté the aromatics: Add the onion, celery, sliced carrots, tomato paste, and thyme to the pot. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté for five minutes, or until the onions are softened. Add the white wine to the pot, bring to a simmer, and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned bits. Simmer the wine until reduced by half - about 3 minutes.
- Everything into the pot: Stir in the chicken stock, then add the chicken thighs and any chicken juices from the bowl. Pour the tomatoes on top, but don’t stir. Put a steamer basket on top of everything in the pot - don't worry if it's a little submerged, it will be fine - and put the potatoes and carrots in the steamer basket.
- Pressure cook the stew: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker, bring it up to high pressure, and cook at high pressure for 30 minutes in an electric PC, 25 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure to come down naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release any pressure left in the pot.
- Shred and serve: Carefully lift the steamer basket of potatoes and carrots out of the pot, then scoop the chicken pieces out with a slotted spoon. Cut the potatoes in half, and then stir the carrots and potatoes back into the stew. Shred the chicken, discarding the skin, bones, and gristle, and stir the shredded chicken meat back into the stew. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper if necessary. (If you used homemade chicken stock, it will definitely need more salt.) Serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American