Instant Pot Chicken Stew recipe. Straightforward comfort food from the Instant Pot, with chicken thighs and baby potatoes in a one pot meal.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on (about 3½ pounds) or a cut-up whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- ¼ pound baby carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade or low-sodium store bought
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (if using homemade broth)
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ¾ pound baby carrots
- 1½ pounds baby potatoes (aka new potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sear the chicken in batches: Season the chicken with 2 teaspoons salt. Heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil sauté mode in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker until shimmering. (Use medium-high heat in a stovetop pressure cooker.) Brown the chicken in 2 batches, three pieces in each batch. (Don’t crowd the pot, or the chicken will steam instead of browning.) Sear the chicken for 4 minutes per side, or until well browned, then remove to a bowl and sear the next batch. Once all the chicken is browned, pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the cooker. (The chicken skin will release a lot of oil into the pot.)
- Sauté the aromatics: Add the onion, celery, sliced carrots, tomato paste, and thyme to the pot. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté for five minutes, or until the onions are softened. Add the white wine to the pot, bring to a simmer, and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned bits. Simmer the wine until reduced by half - about 3 minutes.
- Everything into the pot: Stir in the chicken broth and 1 teaspoon of salt (if using homemade broth), then add the chicken thighs and any chicken juices from the bowl. Pour the tomatoes on top, but don’t stir. Put a steamer basket on top of everything in the pot - don't worry if it's a little submerged, it will be fine - and put the potatoes and carrots in the steamer basket.
- Pressure cook for 30 minutes with a 15 minute natural release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, or for 25 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure to come down naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release any pressure left in the pot.
- Shred and serve: Carefully lift the steamer basket of potatoes and carrots out of the pot, then scoop the chicken pieces out with a slotted spoon. Cut the potatoes in half, and then stir the carrots and potatoes back into the stew. Shred the chicken, discarding the skin, bones, and gristle, and stir the shredded chicken meat back into the stew. Stir in the fresh ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Sunday dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Chicken Stew Recipe, Pressure Cooker Chicken Stew Recipe,