Pressure Cooker Chickpeas recipe - a basic technique for pressure cooker chickpeas. Use them right away, or save for later in the freezer.
- 1 pound dried chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 small onion
- 1 bay leaf
- Sort and rinse: Sort the chickpeas, removing any stones or dirt clods you find. Rinse the chickpeas, then put them in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker
- Pressure Cook for 45 minutes with a Natural Release: Add the water, onion, and bay leaf to the pot. Lock the lid and pressure cook at high pressure for 45 minutes in an electric PC, or for 40 minutes in a stovetop PC. (Use Manual or Pressure Cook mode in an Instant Pot). Let the pressure come down naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Serve: Remove the pressure cooker lid – open it away from you to protect yourself from the hot steam. Discard the onion and bay leaves. Serve the beans with their broth, drain them for use in other recipes, or freeze them in their broth in 2-cup containers for up to 6 months.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Basic Technique
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American