Pressure Cooker Korean Beef Stew (Beef Doenjang Jjigae) recipe. Korean doenjang paste is the backbone of this quick beef stew.
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup doenjang (Korean soybean paste)
- 2 pounds flat iron steak (or chuck blade steak), cut into 2 inch by 1/2 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt or 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 ounce of shiitake mushroom caps, quartered (discard the stems)
- 12 ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 chili pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 scallion, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Salt to taste
- Simmer the soybean paste: Bring 1 cup of water to a simmer in the pressure cooker pot over medium-high heat (Sauté mode in an electric pressure cooker.) Stir in the doenjang paste and simmer until the paste dissolves into the liquid, stirring often and breaking up any chunks of paste with a wooden spoon.
- Pressure cook the stew: Sprinkle the beef with the kosher salt and the red pepper flakes. Stir the beef into the pot. Lock the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 15 minutes in an electric PC or 12 minutes in a stovetop PC. Quick release the pressure in the pot.
- Simmer the vegetables: Carefully open the lid on the pressure cooker - watch out for hot steam. With the lid off, set the cooker over medium-high heat (sauté mode in an electric PC) and stir in the onion, zucchini, tofu, and shiitake mushrooms. Bring the pot to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms and zucchini are tender. Stir in the chili pepper and scallion, taste, and add salt if needed. Serve.
Serve with white rice and a squeeze bottle of Gochujang sauce to drizzle on top.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Korean