Pressure Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut recipe - spareribs braised in sauerkraut in a pressure cooker.
- 1 slab spareribs, cut into 3 rib sections
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 pounds sauerkraut, rinsed & drained (preferably fresh sauerkraut from the refrigerated section of your grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 juniper berries
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dry Riesling (or any dry, non-oaky white wine)
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and minced (preferably tart apples like a granny smith)
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock, or water
- 1 pound smoked ham hock
Condiments and side dishes
- Assorted mustards (Dijon, horseradish, and grainy mustard are my favorite choices)
- Cornichons (French style gherkin pickles)
- Rye bread
- Boiled white potatoes sprinkled with salt and parsley
- Prep the Pork and Sauerkraut: Sprinkle the pork ribs with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1 teaspoon brown sugar, then set aside to rest. Rinse the sauerkraut in a large colander, then press down on the sauerkraut to squeeze out the excess water.
- Saute the Aromatics: Heat the 2 tablespoons of lard in the pressure cooker pot over medium high heat until it melts. Add the onions, garlic, juniper berries, and bay leaves. Sprinkle with the pepper, coriander, and salt, then stir to coat with the fat. Saute until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Fill the pot: Add the Riesling to the pot, and bring to a boil. Stir in the sauerkraut, apples, and chicken stock. Submerge the ham hock and the ribs as much as you can in the sauerkraut.
- Pressure cook the pork and sauerkraut: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker, bring it to high pressure, and pressure cook for 25 minutes. (30 minutes in an electric pressure cooker). Quick release the pressure. Carefully remove the lid from the pressure cooker, tilting away from you to avoid the hot steam.
- Mix and serve: Remove the ham hock and the ribs to a carving board. Discard the bay leaves. Shred the ham hock, discarding the bones and any large hunks of gristle, then stir the shredded meat into the sauerkraut. Cut the ribs into 1 bone serving pieces. Scoop the sauerkraut out of the pot with a slotted spoon, leaving behind most of the liquid. Serve, passing the condiments on the side.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American