Pressure Cooker Pork Chili with Beans recipe - tender cubes of pork in a rich chili sauce, with beans. (I like beans.)
- 5 pound boneless pork shoulder roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 minced chipotle en adobo peppers or 2 diced jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock (preferably homemade) or water
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 to 4 cups cooked kidney beans (homemade or canned)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the pork: Sprinkle the pork evenly with 2 tsp kosher salt. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat until shimmering. Brown the pork in two to three batches, depending on the size of your pressure cooker. Brown each batch for six minutes total, turning the pork halfway through the cooking time to brown it on two sides. Remove the pork to a bowl with a slotted spoon, leaving as much fat behind as possible.
- Sauté the aromatics and toast the spices: Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the pressure cooker. Saute the onions until softened, about 5 minutes, scraping occasionally to release the browned pork bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the garlic cloves and chipotle en adobo, and saute for one minute. Make a hole in the middle of the aromatics, and add the chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano and brown sugar. Cook for one minute, or until fragrant, then stir until combined with the onions.
- Cook the chili: Put the pork (and any juices in the bowl) into the pressure cooker, then the chicken stock, and stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pot one more time. Add the tomatoes on top, but do not stir. Lock the lid on the pressure cooker, increase the heat to high, and bring the cooker up to high pressure. (Check your pressure cooker manual for how to do this - use Manual mode in an Instant Pot electric PC). Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes in an electric PC, or 25 minutes in a stovetop PC. Remove the pressure cooker from the heat, and let the pressure come down naturally, about 15 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure at that point. Remove the lid, add the kidney beans, and simmer for ten minutes to heat the beans through. Add the apple cider vinegar, stir, then taste the chili and add more salt and pepper as necessary.
- Serve: Serve the chili straight up, or with diced onions, sour cream, shredded cheese, minced cilantro, hot sauce, tortilla chips, pickled jalapenos...whatever you like as toppings for your chili.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American