Pressure Cooker Quick Tomato Sauce recipe – 15 minutes under pressure gives you a fantastic pasta sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (or dried basil)
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup red wine (or chicken broth, or water)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sauté the aromatics. Set the pressure cooker to sauté mode (medium heat for a stovetop PC) and pour in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the Italian seasoning, and the pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, about five minutes.
- Add the liquid and the tomatoes. Pour in the wine (or broth, or water). Bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen any stuck bits of onion. Stir in the crushed tomatoes.
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes on high pressure. Lock the pressure cooker lid, then cook on high pressure for 15 minutes in an electric PC, or 12 minutes in a stovetop PC. Quick release the pressure by turning the pressure release valve. Once the pressure has dropped, remove the lid, tilting it away from you to protect yourself from the hot steam.
- Season, purée, and serve. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. If you like a chunky, rustic sauce, serve it as-is. If you want a smooth sauce, purée with a stick blender right in the pot before serving.
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian