Pressure Cooker Shredded Chicken in Black Mole Sauce recipe. Mole Negro Oaxaqueno on a weeknight? Yes - if you use a pressure cooker, and start with pre-made mole paste, it is possible.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces Oaxaca black mole paste (or any mole paste)
- 1 tab of Mexican chocolate (optional)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon fine sea salt)
- Crumbled Mexican cheese (Queso Fresco)
- Shredded cabbage (or shredded lettuce, or baby greens)
- Fry the Mole paste: Heat the vegetable oil in the pressure cooker pot over medium heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the mole paste and fry, stirring often, until the mole paste softens, about 3 minutes. Add the tab of Mexican chocolate, then stir in the chicken stock, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen any mole paste that is stuck to the bottom. (If the mole sauce sticks, it will scorch, and the PC will go into overheating mode instead of coming up to pressure.)
- Add the chicken:Sprinkle the chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, then add to the pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot again to make sure none of the mole sauce is sticking.
- Pressure cook the chicken: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes in an electric or stovetop PC. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 15 more minutes.
- Shred the chicken and serve: Remove the chicken to a platter with a slotted spoon, and shred the chicken using a pair of forks. Stir the chicken back into the pot, then pour the chicken and mole into a serving bowl. Serve with the tortillas and accompaniments.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican