Pressure cooker garlic smashed red skin potatoes. A rustic potato side dish, quick and easy on a weeknight thanks to the pressure cooker.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 2 pounds red skin potatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk (for pressure cooking)
- 1/2 cup milk (stir in after cooking, plus more if needed)
- Prep the potatoes: Melt the butter over medium heat in the pressure cooker pot. As soon as the butter stops foaming, stir in the the the potato slices and the garlic. Sprinkle with the salt, pour the water and the first 1/2 cup of milk into the pot, and stir.
- Pressure cook the potatoes for 7 minutes with a quick pressure release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes in an electric pressure cooker, or 6 minutes in a stovetop PC. Quick release the pressure, then open the lid away from you.
- Smash the potatoes: Smash the potatoes in the pot with a potato masher to break them up, then pour in the second 1/2 cup of milk and smash until you get the right consistency, adding a little more milk if they’re too thick. Taste, stir in more salt if necessary, and serve.
- I use 2 pounds of potatoes because it is the right amount for my family of five. You can double the recipe if you need a big batch - just double all the ingredients. If you want to halve the recipe, halve everything except the water and milk- you need the liquid to come up to pressure - and do not add more milk while mashing (unless you really need it.)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American