Pressure Cooker Thai Red Beef Curry recipe - spicy Thai beef in a thick curry sauce, in a hurry thanks to the pressure cooker.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, stemmed, and sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and crushed
- Cream from the top of a (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup red curry paste (a whole 4-ounce can)
- 8-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained
- 2 pounds flat iron steak (or chuck blade steak, or boneless chuck roast), cut into 2-inch by 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt or 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (plus more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (plus more to taste)
- Juice of 1 lime
Garnish and Sides
- Minced cilantro
- Minced basil (preferably Thai basil)
- Lime wedges
- Jasmine rice
Sauté the aromatics: Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in the pressure cooker pot until shimmering. (Use Sauté mode in an electric pressure cooker.) Stir in the onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and ginger, and sauté until the onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes.
Fry the curry paste: Scoop the cream from the top of the can of coconut milk and add it to the pot, then stir in the curry paste. Cook, stirring often, until the curry paste darkens, about 5 minutes.
Pressure cook the curry: Sprinkle the beef with the kosher salt. Add the beef to the pot, and stir to coat with curry paste. Stir in the rest of the can of coconut milk, bamboo shoots, chicken stock, fish sauce, and soy sauce. Lock the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 12 minutes in an electric PC or 10 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 minutes.
Finish the curry: Remove the lid from the pressure cooker. Stir in the lime juice, then taste the curry for seasoning, adding more soy sauce or fish sauce as needed. Ladle the curry into bowls, sprinkle with minced cilantro and basil, and serve with Jasmine rice.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Thai