A whole strip loin roast (aka New York strip roast) on the rotisserie.
- Beef Strip Loin roast (about 5 pounds)
- 4 teaspoons Diamond Crystal Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- Pre-salt the beef: Two hours before cooking, sprinkle the roast evenly with the kosher salt and black pepper. Let the salted roast rest at room temperature until ready to cook.
- Prepare the grill: Set the grill up for rotisserie cooking at high heat (450°F+). For my Weber Summit, this means removing the grates, turning the two outer burners (burners 1 and 6) to high, and turning the infrared burner to high. Then I put my drip pan in the middle, over the unlit burners, and let the grill preheat for fifteen minutes.
- Spit the roast: While the grill is pre-heating, skewer the roast on the rotisserie spit. Aim for center mass, skewer the roast lengthwise, and secure it with the spit forks.
- Cook the roast:
- Put the spit on the rotisserie, start the motor spinning, and cook with the lid closed. The roast is done when it measures 120*F for medium-rare in its thickest part, (115*F for rare, 125*F for medium. Beyond that, you're on your own.) Check the temperature of the roast after 30 minutes, and every 5 to 15 minutes thereafter, depending on how close the roast is to finishing. (Also, if you are cooking with an infrared rotisserie burner, check the browning as well - turn off the IR burner once the roast is well browned.) The roast will take about 15 minutes per inch at its thickest point to reach medium-rare. Since most of roasts are 3 to 4 inches thick, it should take about 45 minutes to an hour to roast.
- Serve the roast: Take the roast off the spit immediately, then rest for at least 15 minutes. Carve into 1/2" thick slices and serve.
You can salt the roast up to 24 hours in advance; if you do, wrap the roast tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until two hours before cooking. Remove from the refrigerator, take off the plastic wrap, and let it rest at room temperature for the last two hours.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Rotisserie
- Cuisine: American