Grilled Cheeseburgers. The one, the only, the classic cheeseburger, grilled to perfection.
- 2.5 pounds ground chuck (aka “80/20 ground beef”)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices American cheese (or cheddar)
- 8 hamburger buns
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- Green leaf lettuce
- Pickle slices
- Ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise
- Shape the burgers: In a large bowl, gently break up the ground beef, then divide the meat into eight equal sized portions, each weighing 5 ounces. Form each portion into a patty, roughly 1/2 inch thick by 4 inches wide. Be careful not to overwork the meat – handle it as little as possible – but make sure the edges are well formed to hold the burger together on the grill. (This is where the burger press comes in handy.) Repeat until you have eight burgers. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the burgers.
- Set the grill to direct medium: Set up the grill for direct medium heat, with a zone with no heat. On my Weber kettle, I fill my charcoal chimney 3/4 full (about 45 coals), light it, and wait for the coals to be covered with gray ash. Then I pour them in a single, loose layer over half of the charcoal grate, put the grill grate in, and brush it clean with my grill brush.
- Cook the burgers: Set the burgers on the grill grate over direct medium heat. (On a gas grill, I keep the lid closed as much as possible while grilling.) Grill the burgers until they are well browned on the bottom, about five minutes. Flip the burgers and grill until the burgers are cooked through and browned on the bottom, about five more minutes. If the burgers cause a large flare up, move them to the no heat side of the grill grate for a few seconds to let the flames die down. During the last two minutes of grilling, top each burger with a slice of cheese, and close the lid to melt the cheese. Move the burgers into the buns.
- Serve: Pass the burgers and the accompaniments at the table, and let everyone add the toppings they want to their burger.
- Category: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 burger