Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Italian Salsa Verde recipe - grilled chicken on a stick, with a tasty herb marinade - what could be better?
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (about 3.5 pounds of chicken)
- 1 large red onion, peeled and trimmed, core discarded, cut into 1 inch pieces and separated into individual layers
- 2 large red bell peppers, cored and cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored and cut into 1 inch squares
Italian Salsa Verde
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 anchovy fillet (optional)
- 2 cups of loosely packed parsley leaves (Leaves from 1/2 of a large bunch of parsley)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Skewer the kebabs: Skewer the kebabs in the following pattern: one piece of chicken, one piece onion, two pieces of peppers of different colors. Repeat until you get to the end of the skewer, then add a final piece of chicken (If you run out of ingredients, make a lopsided skewer – mostly chicken, lots of peppers, extra onions, whatever you have left.) Layer the kebabs in a baking dish.
- Prepare the Italian salsa verde: Drop the garlic clove into a running food processor or blender, and wait until it is completely minced, about 30 seconds. Then, add the capers and anchovy and pulse with one second pulses until minced. Add the parsley, salt, pepper, and lemon zest, and then pulse the processor with 1 second pulses until the parsley is finely chopped. Add the lemon juice and olive oil, turn on the processor, and run until the salsa verde is a thin puree.
- Marinate the kebabs: Pour the salsa verde over the kebabs, spread it evenly over the top of the kebabs to coat. Refrigerate the dish with the kebabs for 2 to 4 hours, turning the kebabs occasionally to evenly distribute the marinade.
- Set the grill up for direct medium heat: Set the grill up for cooking with direct medium heat. On my gas grill, I preheat the grill on high for ten to fifteen minutes, brush off the grill grate, then turn the burners down to medium. On my charcoal grill I light a chimney charcoal filled 3/4 full (about 50 briquettes), wait for the charcoal to be covered with gray ash, then spread the charcoal in a tight single layer on my charcoal grate.
- Grill the kebabs:
- Put the kebabs on the grill grate over direct medium heat. (On a gas grill, cook with the lid closed as much as possible.) Grill until the chicken is browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip the kebabs and grill on the other side until the chicken is browned and the kebabs are cooked through, about 4 more minutes. Transfer the kebabs to a platter, let them rest until they are cool enough to touch, and serve.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Grilling
- Cuisine: Italian