Grilled Short Ribs with Smoked Spanish Paprika Rub. Thin cut flanken style short ribs on the grill with a quick, easy spice rub.
- 3 pounds flanken-style short ribs (short ribs cut about 1/4-inch thick across the bones)
- 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sprinkle the ribs with the spice rub: Mix the spice rub ingredients until they are completely combined. Sprinkle the ribs with the rub until they are completely coated. (You may have some leftover rub – save it in a jar and use it next time.) Let the short ribs rest at room temperature while the grill preheats.
- Preheat the grill for direct medium heat: Preheat grill for direct cooking over medium heat.▪ Gas grill: Preheat on high for 10 minutes, clean the grill grates with a grill brush, then turn the heat down to medium.▪ Charcoal grill: Light the coals and wait for them to be covered with gray ash. Spread in a single layer of coals over the charcoal grate. Put the grill grate on the grill, and clean with a grill brush.
- Cook ribs for 4 minutes a side: Set the short ribs on the grill over direct heat, and cook for about 4 minutes a side, until they are well browned. (I flip the short ribs in a 2-2-2-2 pattern. 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip and rotate 90 degrees to get a crosshatch of grill marks, 2 minutes, flip (still rotated), 2 minutes.) Remove ribs to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Short ribs are so thin that “doneness” doesn’t really come in to play. That’s fine; short ribs are all about the crispy, spicy crust, and big beefy taste. Cook them until they’re well browned and don’t worry about medium-rare.
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American