Thank you to my friends at Certified Angus Beef® Brand for sponsoring DadCooksDinner. Please check them out at hashtag #BestBeef for more beef recipes, and visit them at the Certified Angus Beef Kitchen Community on Facebook. Thank you!
I’m a sucker for short ribs. I saw these beauties in the meat case at my local grocery store – flanken cut beef short ribs, lined up in their trays – and I had to buy them. Had to, I tell you!
Flanken style short ribs are the style popularized in Korean grilling, cut across the bone, about 1/4 inch thick. I wasn’t in the mood for Korean, though; We had stir fry for dinner last night. I had a taste for something a little more American, so I went with… Smoked Spanish Paprika rub. (Yes, I know, not very American. Oh, well.)
What does Flanken mean, anyhow? It’s derived from the Yiddish and German word for “flank”, because the ribs are cut from the flank of a side of beef. Flanken was a cheap cut, because it is tough and chewy; normally it takes long, slow cooking to tenderize it. Don’t use thick cut short ribs for this; save them for braises or barbecue. But cut the short ribs thin enough, and they become perfect for grilling, with a big beefy taste.Print
Grilled Short Ribs with Smoked Spanish Paprika Rub. Thin cut flanken style short ribs on the grill with a quick, easy spice rub.
- 3 pounds flanken-style short ribs (short ribs cut about 1/4-inch thick across the bones)
- 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sprinkle the ribs with the spice rub: Mix the spice rub ingredients until they are completely combined. Sprinkle the ribs with the rub until they are completely coated. (You may have some leftover rub – save it in a jar and use it next time.) Let the short ribs rest at room temperature while the grill preheats.
- Preheat the grill for direct medium heat: Preheat grill for direct cooking over medium heat.▪ Gas grill: Preheat on high for 10 minutes, clean the grill grates with a grill brush, then turn the heat down to medium.▪ Charcoal grill: Light the coals and wait for them to be covered with gray ash. Spread in a single layer of coals over the charcoal grate. Put the grill grate on the grill, and clean with a grill brush.
- Cook ribs for 4 minutes a side: Set the short ribs on the grill over direct heat, and cook for about 4 minutes a side, until they are well browned. (I flip the short ribs in a 2-2-2-2 pattern. 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip and rotate 90 degrees to get a crosshatch of grill marks, 2 minutes, flip (still rotated), 2 minutes.) Remove ribs to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Short ribs are so thin that “doneness” doesn’t really come in to play. That’s fine; short ribs are all about the crispy, spicy crust, and big beefy taste. Cook them until they’re well browned and don’t worry about medium-rare.
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
What do you think?
Questions? Other ideas? Leave them in the comments section below.
One week left in my T-Shirt sale!
The DadCooksDinner limited edition t-shirt is available through Thursday, September 29th at 11PM. If you want one, don’t forget to order!
Click here to check them out. [Teespring.com]
Enjoyed this post? Want to help out DadCooksDinner? Subscribe to DadCooksDinner via eMail and share this post with your friends. Want to contribute directly? Donate to my Tip Jar, or buy something from Amazon.com through the links on this site. Thank you.