Instant Pot Beluga Lentils. Black caviar lentils, ready in about a half an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
- 1 pound black caviar lentils (beluga lentils)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 cups water
- 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Rinse the lentils: Put the lentils in a strainer and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Let stand to drain while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Saute the aromatics and toast the spices: Heat the oil in an Instant Pot set to Sauté mode (or in a stovetop PC over medium heat) until the oil starts to shimmer. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, then sprinkle with ½ teaspoon fine sea salt. Sauté until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pressure Cook the lentils for 10 minutes with a Natural Release: Stir in the lentils, 4 cups of water, and 1½ teaspoon fine sea salt. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a flat-edged wooden spoon to loosen any bits of onion that stuck to the pot. Lock the lid and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes (“Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot), or for 8 minutes in a stovetop PC. Once the cooking time is done, let the pressure come down with a natural release, about 20 minutes more. (if you are in a hurry, quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes.)
- Taste for seasoning and serve: Open the pressure cooker lid (away from you – the steam is hot). Stir in the pepper, serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Beluga Lentils, Instant Pot Black Caviar Lentils, Pressure Cooker Beluga Lentils