Pressure cooked garbanzo beans tossed with cherry tomatoes and lemon dressing, for a hearty side dish or vegetarian main course
- 8 ounces dried chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), sorted and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
Tomato Lemon Vinaigrette
- Juice of ½ a lemon 🍋 (1 to 2 tbsp)
- Zest from ½ a lemon
- pinch of salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- ½ clove if garlic, finely minced (optional)
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pint (about 10 ounces) cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pressure cook the chickpeas for 45 minutes with a quick pressure release: Put the dried chickpeas, 4 cups of water, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, and ½ teaspoon of salt in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Lock the lid and cook at high pressure for 45 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, or for 36 minutes in a stovetop PC. Quick release the pressure in the pot and drain the chickpeas, then transfer the drained chickpeas to a medium bowl.
- Whisk the vinaigrette (the easy way): put the vinaigrette ingredients (except for the tomatoes) in a medium bowl and whisk until the oil is emulsified. Add the halved tomatoes and whisk a few more times to coat with vinaigrette.
- OR: Whisk the vinaigrette (the finesse way): Whisk the lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until the salt dissolves. Stir in the minced basil and garlic clove. Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the bowl, whisking constantly to emulsify the oil in the lemon juice. Stir in the tomatoes to coat with vinaigrette.
- Toss the chickpeas and vinaigrette: Pour the vinaigrette over the drained chickpeas, and stir and toss gently until the chickpeas are coated and the tomatoes are evenly mixed. Serve, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Chickpeas and Tomato Lemon Vinaigrette, Pressure Cooker Chickpeas and Tomato Lemon Vinaigrette