Instant Pot Dirty Rice. The traditional Cajun side dish made in a pressure cooker,
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage (I use a tube of breakfast sausage)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning (store bought or homemade)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth (preferably homemade) or water
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt (if using homemade broth or water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 green onions, minced (optional)
- ¼ cup minced parsley (optional)
- Cook sausage until no longer pink: Heat the vegetable oil until shimmering in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker set to Sauté mode adjusted to high (medium-high heat in a stovetop PC). Add the sausage and cook, stirring and breaking it up, until it is crumbled and has lost its pink color, about 5 minutes.
- Add the aromatics and spices: Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to the pot with the sausage. Sprinkle with the cajun seasoning and ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté, stirring often and scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pot, until the onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Everything in the pot: Stir the rice into the sausage and onions, then add the chicken broth or water (and another ½ teaspoon of salt if using homemade broth). Scrape the bottom of the pot one last time to make sure there are no browned bits sticking, then float the bay leaf on top.
- Pressure cook for 4 minutes with a 10 minute Natural Release: Lock the lid. Pressure cook on high pressure for 4 minutes (timing is the same for Instant Pots and stovetop PCs). Let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Serve: Unlock the lid on the pressure cooker, tilting it away from you to avoid the hot steam. Discard the bay leaf, then stir in the green onions and parsley. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: Instant Pot Dirty Rice, Instant Pot Cajun Rice, Pressure Cooker Dirty Rice, Pressure Cooker Cajun Rice