Instant Pot Field Peas and Snaps. Southern style dried field peas with smoked sausage and snapped green beans, ready in under an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
- 1 pound dried Field Peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 12- to 16-ounces of smoked sausage, sliced about ½-inch thick
- One medium-large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 cups water (or chicken broth or ham broth)
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 4- to 8-ounces of fresh green beans, cut into 1½-inch lengths
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sort and rinse the field peas: Sort the dried field peas, removing any broken beans, stones, and dirt clods. Rinse the peas in a fine mesh strainer.
- Saute the sausage, aromatics, and spices: Melt the butter in an Instant Pot set to Sauté mode adjusted to high (or a stovetop pressure cooker pot over medium-high heat). Add the smoked sausage, onion, and garlic, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes. Sauté, stirring often, until the onions soften and start to brown around the edges, about 8 minutes.
- Pressure cook the field peas for 12 minutes with a Quick Release: Pour the sorted and rinsed field peas into the pressure cooker, pour in the 5 cups of water, and stir in 1½ teaspoons of salt. Lock the lid on the pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 12 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric PC (Use Manual or Pressure Cook mode in an Instant Pot, set for 12 minutes) or for 10 minutes in a stovetop PC. Quick release the pressure. Remove the lid carefully, opening it away from you – even when it's not under pressure, the steam in the cooker is hot.
- Pressure cook the green beans for 1 minute with a Quick Release: Add the green beans to the pressure cooker pot. Lock the lid on the pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 1 minute (Use Manual or Pressure Cook mode in an Instant Pot, set for 1 minute). Quick release the pressure. Remove the lid carefully (again).
- Serve: Stir ½ teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper into the pot of field peas and snaps, serve, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Field Peas and Snaps, Pressure Cooker Field Peas and Snaps