Instant Pot French Chicken Legs with Mustard. Poulet a la Moutarde, pressure cooked French chicken legs in about an hour.
- 6 chicken legs
- 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt (¼ teaspoon per leg)
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- ¾ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Season and mustard rub the chicken legs: Put the chicken legs in a big bowl. Sprinkle the chicken legs evenly with the salt, herbs de Provence, and fresh ground black pepper. Pour the dijon on top, and toss the legs until they are evenly coated with the mustard.
- Sear the chicken legs: Heat a tablespoon of oil in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker over Sauté mode adjusted to medium until shimmering. (Medium heat in a stovetop pressure cooker) Brown the skin side of the chicken legs in batches – each leg should lay flat in the pot. In my 6 quart Instant Pot, I can fit two legs in the pot at once. Cook each set of legs until the mustard crust is browned, about 3 minutes. (The mustard browns quickly - keep an eye on it.) Move the browned legs to a bowl, then repeat with the remaining legs.
- Pressure cook the chicken legs: Pour 1 cup of water into the pressure cooker pot. and add the cooking rack. Set the chicken legs on the rack, trying to keep them in a loose pile (I stack them like Lincoln logs), and pour in any chicken juices in the bowl. Lock the lid and pressure cook on high for 30 minutes in an electric pressure cooker, 25 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 15 more minutes. Serve, passing the liquid in the pot on the side as a sauce. Enjoy!
Want to make it even more “a la Diable?” Follow Julia’s original recipe and add a teaspoon of hot pepper sauce with the mustard.
Skip the searing? The browning step is not necessary, if you’re really in a hurry. But, do give it a try - the extra time you take adds a lot of flavor to the dish
6 quart or larger pressure cooker (I love my Instant Pot 6-Quart Pressure Cooker)
Cooking Rack (this silicone bakeware sling with handles is my favorite)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Instant Pot French Chicken Legs with Mustard, Pressure Cooker French Chicken Legs with Mustard