Instant Pot Masala Desi Chickpeas (Masala Desi Chana). Pressure cooker brown chickpeas, with a hint of garam masala
- 1 pound Desi Chickpeas, sorted and rinsed
- 8 cups of water (for soaking)
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt (or 2 teaspoons table salt) for soaking water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala powder
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- Sort and rinse the beans: Spread the beans out on a rimmed baking sheet and discard any stones, dirt, or broken beans. Rinse the beans, then do an overnight or a quick soak.
- Soak the beans overnight: Cover the beans with the 8 cups of water and add the 1 tablespoon of salt. Leave the beans to soak at least 8 hours, or overnight. Drain the beans and discard the soaking liquid.
- OR Pressure Quick Soak the beans for 1 minute with a 30 minute rest: Put the beans, 8 cups of water, and 1 tablespoon of salt in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Pressure cook at high pressure for 1 minute (“Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot for 1 minute), then let the beans sit for 30 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure, drain the beans, and discard the soaking liquid. Wipe out the pot before continuing.
- Toast the spices: In an Instant Pot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over sauté mode adjusted to medium (medium heat in a stovetop PC). Stir the garam masala into the butter and toast for 1 minute. Stir in the beans, then pour in the water, and stir in 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon baking soda.
- Pressure Cook for 25 minutes with a 15 minute Natural Release: Lock the lid and pressure cook at high pressure for 25 minutes (Use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot), or for 22 minutes if using a stovetop pressure cooker. Let the pressure come down naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Serve: Carefully remove the lid – tilt it away from you to avoid the hot steam. Serve the beans immediately, or store them in their cooking liquid in 2 cup containers, up to 3 days in the refrigerator, or for 6 months frozen.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Instant Pot Desi Chickpeas, Instant Pot Desi Chana, Pressure Cooker Desi Chickpeas, Pressure Cooker Desi Chana