Instant Pot Moroccan Lamb Shanks. Lamb shanks braised with Ras El Hanout spices, ready in about an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 teaspoons Ras el Hanout spice blend
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup chicken broth (homemade or low-sodium store bought)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt (if using homemade broth)
- ¼ cup currants (or raisins)
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Couscous as a side dish (optional)
- Minced cilantro as garnish (optional)
- Sliced almonds as garnish (optional)
- Harissa paste as a garnish (optional)
- Sear the lamb shanks: In an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker, heat the olive oil using Sauté mode adjusted to high until the oil is shimmering. (Medium-high heat with a stovetop PC). Sprinkle the lamb shanks with the 2 teaspoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of Ras el Hanout spice blend. Brown the shanks in two batches: put 2 shanks in the pot, meaty side down, and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Move the browned shanks to a bowl, brown the second set of shanks, and move them to the bowl with the other shanks.
- Sauté the aromatics: Add the onion and garlic to the pot, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté for five minutes, or until the onions soften, occasionally scraping the pot with a flat-edged wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits of lamb or onion. Stir in the chicken broth, and scrape the bottom of the pot one last time to loosen any browned bits. Add the lamb shanks and any lamb juices from the bowl, sprinkle with the currants, and pour the diced tomatoes over everything.
- Pressure cook for 45 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the lid and pressure cook at high pressure for 45 minutes in an Instant Pot ("manual" or "pressure cook" mode), or for 40 minutes in a stovetop cooker. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 minutes. (If you're in a hurry, you can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes.)
- Serve: Unlock the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid the hot steam. Remove the lamb shanks to a platter. Scoop out any chunks of tomato with a slotted spoon, and add them to the platter with the lamb shanks. Pour the liquid in the pot into a fat separator and let it sit for a few minutes for the fat to separate. Pour a little de-fatted liquid over the shanks, then serve with couscous and a sprinkling of minced cilantro and sliced almonds. Pass the rest of the de-fatted liquid as a sauce at the table to pour over the lamb and couscous. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Category: Sunday Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Moroccan
Keywords: Instant Pot Moroccan Lamb Shanks, Pressure Cooker Moroccan Lamb Shanks