Instant Pot Quick Chicken Thighs. Join the Dark Side (of the chicken) with this easy pressure cooker recipe
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on (about 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (optional)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- Season and brown the chicken thighs: Heat the teaspoon of oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat (sauté mode adjusted to high in an Instant Pot) until the oil is shimmering. Sprinkle the chicken thighs evenly with the salt, Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, and fresh ground black pepper. Brown the thighs in two batches: Put four of the chicken thighs in the pot, skin side down, and cook until the skin is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Move the browned thighs to a bowl, then brown the remaining 4 thighs, skin side down, about 5 more minutes. Move the second batch of thighs to the bowl.
- Pressure cook the chicken thighs: Pour 1 cup of water into the pressure cooker pot. Add the cooking rack to the pot and pile the chicken thighs on in 2 layers, then pour in any chicken juices in the bowl. Lock the lid and cook at high pressure for 20 minutes in an electric pressure cooker, or for 16 minutes in a stovetop PC. (Use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot.) After pressure cooking, quick release the pressure from the pot. (Be careful – that steam is scalding hot.)
- Serve: Lift the chicken thighs out of the pot and on to a platter. (Be gentle – they will be fall-apart tender). Spoon a little of the pot liquid over the thighs, serve, and enjoy.
- Want to crisp the chicken skin a bit more? After cooking and releasing the pressure, set the chicken thighs on a rimmed baking sheet, skin-side up, and run them under a broiler until the skin starts to brown and bubble, about 5 minutes. (The time depends on your broiler – there’s a huge range in heat output. Keep an eye on the thighs, and pull them out when they look browned.)
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Quick Chicken Thighs, Pressure Cooker Quick Chicken Thighs