Instant Pot Shredded Beef is a versatile filling for sandwiches or tacos, ready in under an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup beef broth (or water)
Minced parsley or cilantro as a garnish (optional)
- Brown the beef in two batches, then add the broth: Heat the vegetable oil in an Instant Pot using Sauté mode adjusted to high until the oil shimmers, about 3 minutes. (Use sear mode or medium-high heat for other pressure cookers.) While the oil heats, sprinkle the cubes of beef with fine sea salt, garlic powder, and chili powder. Add half of the beef to the pot in a single layer, and sear until well browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Remove the batch of browned beef to a bowl. Add the rest of the beef to the pot, and sear until browned on the bottom, about 3 more minutes. Pour the beef broth into the pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen the beef cubes and any browned bits sticking to the pot. Add the reserved bowl of beef and any beef juices to the pot.
- Pressure cook for 30 minutes with natural pressure release: Lock the lid on the cooker. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes in an electric pressure cooker (“Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot) or 25 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 15 more minutes. (You can quick release the rest of the pressure after 15 minutes.) Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid the hot steam.
- Shred the beef, add some pot liquid, and serve: Scoop the beef from the pot with a slotted spoon, then shred the beef with a pair of forks. Spoon a little of the cooking liquid from the pot onto the shredded beef. (I add about a cup of sauce from the pot to the beef.) Sprinkle with the minced parsley, serve, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Shredded Beef, Pressure Cooker Shredded Beef