Instant Pot Small Red Beans (Domingo Rojo Beans). A pot of beans, ready in about an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
- 1 pound small red beans, sorted and rinsed
- 8 cups water for soaking (optional, see instructions)
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt for soaking (optional, see instructions)
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- Sort and rinse the beans: Sort the beans, discarding any stones, dirt, or broken beans. Rinse the beans. If you want to, do an overnight or quick soak.
- Overnight soak: Cover the beans with 8 cups of water and sprinkle with the 2 teaspoons of salt. Leave the beans to soak at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- OR: Pressure Quick Soak for 1 minute with a 30 minute rest: Put the beans, 8 cups of water, and 2 teaspoons of salt in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Pressure cook at high pressure for 1 minute (“Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot), Quick Release the pressure, then let the beans sit for 30 minutes.
- Pressure Cook for 10 minutes (soaked) or 25 minutes (unsoaked) with a 15 minute Natural Release: Drain the beans, discarding the soaking liquid. Put the beans in the pressure cooker, add 6 cups of water, sprinkle with the teaspoon of salt, then add the onion halves and bay leaf. Lock the lid and pressure cook at high pressure: 10 minutes for soaked beans, or 25 minutes for unsoaked beans. (In a stovetop PC, cook for 8 minutes soaked/20 minutes unsoaked). For soaked beans you can quick release the pressure, or let the pressure naturally release. For unsoaked beans, don’t quick release – let the pressure come down naturally. (If you’re in a hurry, you can stop the natural pressure release after 15 minutes by quick releasing any remaining pressure.)
- Serve: Discard the onion and bay leaf. To use as a side dish, serve the beans with their broth; to add to another recipe, drain the beans. Enjoy!
- I freeze leftover beans with their broth in 2-cup containers. A thawed container will replace a 15-ounce can of beans in other recipes.
- Thank you to Rancho Gordo for the fantastic Domingo Rojo Beans.
- The other place I can reliably find small red beans is my local Walmart super center. Unfortunately, they are not carried by other grocery stores here in Northeastern Ohio.