Instant Pot Smashed Chickpea and Scallion Salad. A bean salad with homemade chickpeas, ready in about an hour thanks to pressure cooking.
- 4 ounces dried chickpeas (about ¾ cup), sorted and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch green onions (about 4 ounces), chopped
- Zest and juice of ½ a fresh lemon
- A little more minced green onion for garnish
- Pressure cook the chickpeas for 45 minutes with a Quick Release: Put the dried chickpeas, 4 cups of water, and ½ teaspoon of salt in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Lock the lid, and cook at high pressure for 45 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric PC, or for 40 minutes in a stovetop PC. (Use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot). Quick release the pressure in the pot and drain the chickpeas.
Sauté the aromatics and the chickpeas: Heat the olive oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat until it starts to shimmer, about 3 minutes. Add the drained chickpeas to the frypan and cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the chickpeas with the coriander, cumin, salt, and red pepper, and stir and toss until the spices are evenly distributed through the chickpeas. Add the chopped green onions and cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Remove from the heat and drizzle with the lemon juice and lemon zest. Top with a little more green onions for garnish, serve, and enjoy!
If you make chickpeas ahead, thaw out a 2 cup container and use it in place of the fresh-cooked chickpeas.
If you’re desperate, you can use a 15-ounce can of drained chickpeas. Just promise me you will try with homemade chickpeas at some point? You'll be surprised how much better they are.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Smashed Chickpea and Scallion Salad, Pressure Cooker Smashed Chickpea and Scallion Salad