Instant Pot Turnip Greens with Ham. Southern-style turnip greens, braised in a pressure cooker, with a little ham to add flavor.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ¼- to ½-pound diced ham
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound collard greens, cleaned, stems trimmed, and chopped into 2-inch pieces.
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup water (or ham broth or chicken broth)
- Brown the ham and sauté the onion: Set an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker to sauté mode adjusted to medium (medium heat in a stovetop PC). Pour in the vegetable oil, and heat until it starts to shimmer, about 3 minutes. Spread the diced ham in the pot in a single layer and cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Stir the diced onion into the ham and sauté until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water and turnip greens: Add the water to the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot with a flat-edged wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits of ham or onion. Add half the turnip greens to the pot, then stir to coat with the ham, onions, and oil. Add the rest of the greens, packing them down to fit in the cooker if needed. Don’t worry about the max fill line on the cooker - the greens will wilt quickly - but you need to pack them in enough to close the lid. Sprinkle the greens with the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper, and give the whole pot a stir.
- Pressure cook for 20 minutes with a Quick Release: Lock the pressure cooker lid, and cook at high pressure for 20 minutes in both electric and stovetop pressure cookers. (Use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot). Quick release the pressure. Remove the lid carefully - the steam is hot enough to scald.
- Serve: Pour the greens and the pot liquid into a serving dish, serve, and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Turnip Greens With Ham, Pressure Cooker Turnip Greens With Ham